We offer an integration with PayPal Standard to accept payments directly for events. For details on how to connect your PayPal account to your Financial Settings, start here.
Whether this is your first time using PayPal or your hundredth PayPal event on Brown Paper Tickets, there are a few things to keep in mind when managing your PayPal account.
Upgrade to a Free PayPal Business Account
You may be able to make sales through Brown Paper Tickets for a limited amount of time before upgrading your account, but eventually a personal account will reach its sending limit. Additionally, ticket buyers may not have the option to check out as a guest on a personal account.
- To check your account type, log into your PayPal account and follow this link: PayPal.com/myaccount/settings
- If your Account Type is "Business", you are good to go. If not, upgrading is free at: https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/merchant
Adaptive Payments API
Brown Paper Tickets uses the fully supported Adaptive Payments integration. This information might come in handy if you are working with PayPal support.
There are several processing and account errors that PayPal may display for a variety of reasons. Often, errors during checkout are caused by issues with the attendee's card. Some errors, however, may be caused by PayPal account configuration conflicts.
“An error has occurred and the transaction could not be completed.”
- The attached bank account may need to be verified and/or confirmed
- An additional currency may need to be added to the PayPal account
“Your payment can’t be completed because one of the receivers can’t accept payments at this time”
“Your payment can’t be completed. Please return to the participating website and try again.”
A payment goes through and then is immediately reversed.
PayPal Identity Verification
The PayPal identity verification process confirming the account holder's name, address, date of birth, and Social Security Number may need to be completed. Information can be updated on your PayPal Account Settings page.
See PayPal's Help Articles:
- How do I view or edit my account information?
- Am I being asked to complete a security check so I can verify my account?
TIN (Tax Identification Number)
The PayPal account's TIN may need to be set, updated, or verified.
See PayPal's Help Article:
- Why did my US Tax Identification (TIN) Number fail verification?
PayPal Account Balance
The PayPal account balance may be below the minimum needed to ensure automatic payment of PayPal fees.
There may be an issue with the PayPal account's Payments Settings blocking payments.
These instructions are for Business accounts. Accounts can be upgraded for free on the PayPal site here.
- Go to PayPal's page: Preferences for receiving payments
- Under Display "Add instructions to seller" text input field:, select "No"
- Under Block payments from users who:, deselect both options